If you’ve got a lot of clutter taking up space in your home or business, then you’ve no doubt asked yourself whether you need to rent a storage unit. Storage units could provide the space that you need to get clutter out of your environment, freeing you up to enjoy your home more.
But do you need to rent a storage unit? What are the advantages of doing so? Is using a storage unit better than using your garage? Let’s take a look.
Why Do I Need A Storage Unit?
There are all kinds of reasons why you might need a storage unit.
- You’re Planning On Renovating Your Home. Renovating your home is a major reason why people choose to use self-storage in the UK. Rather than storing stuff outside under shelters in the garden or piling it all into adjacent rooms, self-storage provides a great way to get everything that’s in the way of a renovation out of the house and into safe storage. The same works for businesses: storing office furniture in a container or self-storage unit makes an office refit much more straightforward.
- You’re Going Through Relationship Change. Changes in your relationship status often mean that you have to move location. Sometimes, your new place is temporary or doesn’t have enough space to keep all your possessions, making the case for self-storage much stronger. Self-storage can be a great option if you want to move out of your existing accommodation in a hurry while at the same time keeping all your possessions safe.
- You’re About To Move Home. The property market is complicated. Each transaction depends on the formation of a “chain” of buyers and sellers. Each person in the chain must stay in the process until completion for others to be able to move into their new property. However, the chain can sometimes break apart, leaving you stranded. Self-storage provides you with a backup option. With self-storage, you can store your possessions and relax, knowing that they’re ready to go once the transaction is complete.
- You Need Space For Seasonal Items. Seasonal items can take up a lot of space in your garage or loft, preventing you from using them for other purposes. Many people, therefore, store seasonal items (like seasonal promotional material, decorations, gardening equipment, and machinery) in self-storage, getting it out of the way until they need it.
- You’ve Run Out Of Space. Finally, you may want to use self-storage if you’ve run out of space. The average size of a house in the UK is only 81 square metres (compared to 150-plus in other parts of the developed world), so running out of space is more common than you might think.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Storage Unit?
Save Space In Your Home Or Business
Clutter isn’t just stressful; it also represents an opportunity cost. It takes up valuable space which could be used for something else. Self-storage gives you the space you need to clear out your loft, allowing you to convert it into something more usable, like an extra bedroom. It also can be used to free up space in your garage, providing you with an area to keep your vehicle or workshop tools.
You Only Pay For What You Need
Self-storage has an additional benefit: you only pay for the space you need. You can rent a unit in increasing increments and stop using it whenever you like.
It’s More Secure
Storing your stuff in a garage might seem like a good idea, but garages are prone to breaking and entering by burglars. Self-storage companies, however, often have excellent security in place, making it much harder for thieves to gain access to your possessions.
Climate Control Options
If you have temperature- or humidity-sensitive items that require storage, self-storage may be a better option than a garage. Unlike a garage or loft, many self-storage companies offer customers climate control options to calibrate the environment of their stored goods. Paintings, antiques and other delicate items can be kept in optimal conditions, keeping them in good condition.
Self-storage companies want to make their services as convenient as possible. Many, therefore, offer customers packing options and facilities that help them to prevent damage to their possessions and make itemisation easier.
Store Anything You Like
Finally, self-storage companies allow you to store almost anything you want, including items that you may not want in the home. For instance, you might not want to store valuable possessions in your garage because of security concerns. With self-storage, you no longer have to worry about security issues.